Benefits of Smart Thermostats
Smart technology is a part of our daily lives more and more every day. You might be wondering if “smart” is worth the price tag. Do I really need a smart fridge or a smart doorbell? While some smart technology might seem a little over the top, a smart thermostat is something that is definitely worth the hype. A smart thermostat has many features that can make your home or workplace a safer, more comfortable, and efficient space. As you may already know, Weather Crafters doesn’t just install air conditioners, we do everything related to your HVAC! Contact Weather Crafters to figure out how to install a smart thermostat today!
- Save Money on Bills – the ultimate goal of a smart thermostat is to have your heating and cooling system running as efficiently as possible. This requires less energy, and less energy usage means less money spent monthly on your bill.
- Learning – these thermostats are labeled as “smart” because they are constantly collecting data and using it to run more efficiently. If you adjust the temperature a few degrees each night before you go to bed, the thermostat will recognize that pattern and automatically change the temperature, without being told to do so. This allows the HVAC system to run more efficiently because it can gradually raise or lower the temperature. When you manually change the temperature, the system goes into overdrive, trying to adjust the temperature as quickly as possible, using more energy. Not only does the thermostat monitor habits day to day, it also sees how your patterns change throughout seasons. So instead of you having to remember to adjust the thermostat each day, your thermostat will help you do that in a more efficient manner.
- Motion Sensors – Another way that smart thermostats collect data is through the use of motion detectors. They can tell if someone is home, or if the space is empty. That can be a really convenient feature if you work sporadic hours, or if you go on vacation and forget to adjust the thermostat. Because the thermostat works with your phone, it can also tell, through GPS, if you are on your way home. If you take the same route home each day, the thermostat will know when to start adjusting the temperature so it is at the correct temperature when you walk in the door.
- Remote Control – smart thermostats are awesome because they can work independently to make your system more efficient, but they also love to get information from you. You are able to work with the smart thermostat through the thermostat control panel, but also through an app on your smartphone. So you can adjust the current temperature, or schedule adjustments in the future. The thermostat will learn new habits over the course of a few days, if your schedule changes. You can also help the thermostat by scheduling those adjustments ahead of time.
- Track Energy Use – the apps that come with the smart thermostat track your energy usage each day and allow you to see your own data. The information is displayed in an easy-to-read manner and most apps usually include tips for you to lower your energy usage. It could be something as simple as adjusting the thermostat by 1 degree, or reminding you to change the filters in your HVAC system. It is almost like having your own energy specialist.
- Compatibility – because many household items are starting to incorporate smart technology, a smart thermostat would be able to communicate with any other smart technology, such as a humidifier or security system. By being able to communicate, the humidifier and HVAC system would be able to work together to adjust the temperature more efficiently. A smart security system would be able to remind you of a window you forgot to shut.
- Voice Tech – one great addition to your home or workplace would be to include an Amazon Alexa, or Google Home so that you can use voice commands. These technologies are able to communicate with smart thermostats so that you can adjust the temperature simply by saying “Alexa, raise the temperature to 74 degrees”. As silly as it may seem, this can save a lot of time and frustration. Imagine working at your home office and realizing you are cold. So you walk to the other end of the house and try to manually adjust the temperature on an older thermostat. Older thermostats are hard to read and the programming prompts are not that easy to follow. Especially if you have an elderly loved one in the home, think of how stressful a simple task like that can be. Another great feature provided by voice technology is setting up a leaving sequence. After a little bit of programming, all you would have to do to leave the house would be to say “Hey Google, I’m leaving.” Boom. Thermostat adjusts, door locks, lights turn off. And you haven’t had to do anything.
Installing a smart thermostat should be on the top of your list for home improvement projects because it will save you money while keeping you comfortable. There are many options for smart thermostats and our technicians are available to walk you through the choices – based on your lifestyle and your budget. Smart thermostats are not just for the tech savvy – they work wonderfully in any home or work place. You do not have to be a tech wiz to operate a smart thermostat – they have large displays and are very user friendly. Best of all, when Weather Crafters installs your smart thermostat, we will be there to help you with the programming and to answer any questions. It doesn’t matter if we installed it yesterday, or two years ago, we are always here to help. Contact us today to decide which smart thermostat is right for you.