The Importance of Indoor Air Quality
According to the EPA, indoor air can have 5 times more pollutants than outdoor air. With all the pollution coming from transportation, manufacturing, and daily life in general, it may seem odd to hear that statistic. We work hard to keep our homes clean and safe, but many times we miss out on air quality. Clean air is always important but it becomes even more vital to our health in the fall and winter. Whenever you keep the windows closed the same air constantly cycles through our HVAC system. Think about all the particles floating around your home – dust, pet dander, chemicals, bacteria, mold, mildew, and allergens – the list goes on. Outdoor air becomes more diluted when polluted air mixes with fresh air, rain, and clouds. Trees and plants also play a key role in providing clean oxygen for the world. Indoor air is unable to dilute and clean itself with these natural tools. So you have to look at other indoor air quality solutions to clean the air in your home.
- Change your HVAC Filter – the simplest and easiest way to improve the air quality of your home, and extend the lifespan of your HVAC unit is to change the filter regularly. This removes irritants from the air as they circulate through the system. While traditional filters do remove some particles from the air, they miss the smaller stuff.
- Indoor Plants – studies show that having plants in your home can improve your mood and your air quality. Humans breathe out carbon dioxide → plants breathe in carbon dioxide → plants breathe out oxygen. They also remove certain toxins, such as formaldehyde, benzene, and xylene. Some plants that are easy to take care of and that produce a lot of oxygen include: Devil’s Ivy aka pothos plant, peace lily, dwarf date palm, and the philodendron.
- Whole House Air Purifiers – although the traditional HVAC filter and plants can improve air quality some, the best solution to clean air is to bring a whole house air purifier into your home. There are many different sizes and styles to choose from. In order to find the right fit for your home or office, give Weather Crafters a call. Here are just a few benefits that whole house air purifiers provide
- Reduces odors – have you ever been away from home or the workplace for a few days, and come home to “that smell”? Generally lingering odors occur when the air in a space is trapped – whether its from cooking, pet dander, or just a mustiness. Installing a whole house air purifier ensures that any bacteria or particles that are causing the smell are removed, leaving clean air.
- Removes airborne irritants – if you or a loved one suffers from allergies or breathing issues, then you are familiar with the struggles of allergy season. Whole house air purifiers are great because they remove irritants all year long, in every part of the home. Imagine the relief of breathing regularly, without a runny nose or watery eyes. Air purifiers provide clean air by removing not just seasonal allergens, but also other particles like dust and other things you may not realize are irritating you.
- Better health – removing allergens and irritants are an obvious health benefit, but whole house air purifiers provide more than just that. Think about all the things that are in your home – cleaning products, chemicals, and other pollutants. It may not seem like much, but if you are constantly breathing things in, they can take a toll on your overall health. Some air purifiers are even able to destroy airborne viruses and microorganisms, making your home a safe space for you and your loved ones.
- Increased productivity – studies show that improved air quality can lead to a more productive space. Think about it – when you step outside and breathe in that fresh air, it can be invigorating. Air purifiers can provide the same effect in your home or workspace.
With autumn on its way, we are enjoying some open windows but we are also bracing for those upcoming seasonal allergies. Don’t spend another day breathing in pollutants, irritants, and germs. Call Weather Crafters today to discuss the best whole house air purifier for your family.